1. Introduction and General Terms
In order to provide you with the full range of STEM Clubs services and support, we are sometimes required to collect information about you.
- what information the STEM Clubs Network may collect about you;
- how the STEM Clubs Network will use information we collect about you;
- when the STEM Clubs Network may use your details to contact you;
- whether the STEM Clubs Network will disclose your details to anyone else;
- your choices regarding the personal information you have provided to us;
The website contains hyperlinks to websites owned and operated by third parties. These third party websites have their own privacy policies, including cookies, and we urge you to review them. They will govern the use of personal information you submit or are collected by cookies whilst visiting these websites. We do not accept any responsibility or liability for the privacy practices of such third party websites and your use of such websites is at your own risk.
2. What information will the STEM Clubs Network collect about me?
When you sign up to participate in or receive a service from the STEM Clubs Network website, such as newsletters, e-bulletins, commenting, message boards or register with the online system, we may ask for personal information about you. This can consist of information such as your name, e mail address, school address, school telephone number.
By entering your details in the fields requested, you enable the STEM Clubs Network, the STEM Clubs Network and its consortium providers to provide you with the services you select.
3. How will the STEM Clubs Network use the information you collect about me?
The STEM Clubs Network will use your personal information for a number of purposes including the following:
- for "service administration purposes", which means that the STEM Clubs Network may contact you for reasons related to the service you have signed up for, as set out in Section 4 below, e.g. to provide you with password reminders or to notify you that a particular service has been suspended for maintenance);
- to contact you about a submission you have made to the websites, including any content you provide.
- IP addresses are used to identify the location of users, the number of visits from different countries and also to block disruptive use; and
- to analyse and improve the services offered on stemclubs.net. e.g.
to provide you with the most user-friendly navigation experience.
Where the STEM Clubs Network proposes using your personal information for any other uses we will ensure that we notify you first. You will also be given the opportunity to withhold or withdraw your consent for your use other than as listed above.
4. When will the STEM Clubs Network contact me?
The STEM Clubs Network may contact you:
- in relation to the functioning of any service you have signed up for in order to ensure that the STEM Clubs Network can deliver the services to you;
- where you have opted to receive further correspondence;
- in relation to any contribution you have made to stemclubs.net, e.g. on the STEM Clubs Network comments function;
- to invite you to participate in surveys about the STEM Clubs Network services (participation is always voluntary).
5. Will I be contacted for marketing purposes?
The STEM Clubs Network won't contact you for marketing purposes, or promote new services to you unless you specifically agree to be contacted for these purposes.
6. Will the STEM Clubs Network share my personal information with anyone else?
We will keep your information confidential within the STEM Clubs Consortium and network resource providers, except where disclosure is required or permitted by law (for example to government bodies and law enforcement agencies) or as described in Section 7 below. Generally, we will only use your information within the STEM Clubs Network. However, sometimes the STEM Clubs Network uses third parties to process your information. The STEM Clubs Network will require these third parties to comply strictly with its instructions and the STEM Clubs Network will require that they do not use your personal information for their own business purposes.
7. Offensive or inappropriate content on the STEM Clubs Network website
If you post or send offensive, inappropriate or objectionable content anywhere on or to stemclubs.net, or otherwise engage in any disruptive behaviour on stemclubs.net, the STEM Clubs Network may use your personal information to stop such behaviour.
Where the STEM Clubs Network reasonably believes that you are or may be in breach of any of the laws of England or Wales (e.g. because content you have posted may be defamatory), the STEM Clubs Network may use your personal information to inform relevant third parties such as your employer, school e-mail/Internet provider or law enforcement agencies about the content and your behaviour.
8. What if I am a user aged 16 or under?
If you are aged 16 or under, please get your parent/guardian's permission beforehand whenever you provide personal information to the STEM Clubs Network's website.
9. How long will the STEM Clubs Network keep my personal information?
The STEM Clubs Network will hold your personal information on our systems for as long as is necessary for the relevant service. In the case that you wish to cancel your registration as a stemclubs.net member, once an account is deleted a red flag goes on the database and, while people cannot use the personal information, it stays on the system for administration purposes.
Where you contribute to stemclubs.net, the STEM Clubs Network will generally only keep your content for as long as is reasonably required for the purpose(s) for which it was submitted. For example, the STEM Clubs Network will only keep copies of entries to a competition for the duration of the competition. However other sections (e.g. the project database) are likely to have a longer, or even permanent, duration.
10. Can I find out what personal information the STEM Clubs Network holds about me?
Under the Data Protection Act you have the right to request a copy of the personal information the STEM Clubs Network holds about you and to have any inaccuracies corrected. We will use reasonable efforts to supply, correct or delete personal information about you on our files.
12. Cookies Policy -Information the STEM Clubs Network collects from you
a. What is a cookie?
A cookie is a small amount of data, which often includes a unique identifier that is sent to your computer or mobile phone (referred to here as a "device") browser from a website's computer and is stored on your device's hard drive. Each website can send its own cookie to your browser if your browser's preferences allow it, but (to protect your privacy) your browser only permits a website to access the cookies it has already sent to you, not the cookies sent to you by other sites. Many sites do this whenever a user visits their website in order to track online traffic flows.
Cookies record information about your online preferences and allow us to tailor the websites to your interests. Users have the opportunity to set their devices to accept all cookies, to notify them when a cookie is issued, or not to receive cookies at any time. The last of these means that certain personalised services cannot then be provided to that user and accordingly you may not be able to take full advantage of all of the STEM Clubs Network's website features. Each browser is different, so check the "Help" menu of your browser to learn how to change your cookie preferences.
Information supplied by cookies can help us to analyse the profile of our visitors and help us to provide you with a better user experience. For example: if on a previous visit you changed the background colour to white, we would find this out from your cookie and automatically display the white background version on your second and subsequent visits.
Last Updated : 31st July 2009